Triton is the largest moon of Neptune.
- It is the 7th largest moon in our Solar System.
- Triton might be a Kupier Belt object that was captured by Neptune's gravity.
- It was discovered by William Hassell on October 10th, 1847, 17 days after Neptune was discovered.
- Triton's atmosphere is made up of Nitrogen and Methane.
- Triton is slowly coming closer to the planet, and it will eventually collide with the planet or be broken up by the atmosphere.
- It is the only large moon that has a retrograde orbit.
- Triton was named after a son of Poseidon, the Greek god for Neptune.
- It has active volcanoes and geysers, so it is one of the only few objects in our solar system to be geologically active.
- Its crust is made up of frozen Nitrogen.
- Its the third denseness moon of a Gas Giant, after Europa and Io.
- Triton is very cold at -240 degrees Celsius
|Naiad Thalassa Despina Galatea Larissa S/ 2004 N1|