Saturn is the fifth closest Planet to the sun, and the second largest planet in the Solar System. It is known for its giant rings made up of ice and rocks.
Saturn was first spotted by ancient scientists that studied it with the naked eye. In 1610, Galileo was the first person to study Saturn with a telescope. When he first saw Saturns rings, he thought they were large moons circling the planet. In 1659, Christiaan Huygens found out that Saturns giant moons were rings. Christiaan Huygens also discovered Saturns largest moon, Titan. Voyager 1 and 2 flew by it and took pictures of Saturn, sending better pictures of Saturn, its rings and its moons back to Earth.
- Saturn has 7 known rings
- Its rings are made up of huge chunks of ice.
- The A, B, and C rings are visible from earth.
- The large gap between two of the rings is the Cassini division. A smaller gap is called the Encke division.
- Some moons orbit inside the rings.
- Saturn isn't the only planet with rings-Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune have some as well, they're just not as elaborate.
- The Rings of Saturn were discovered by Galileo in 1610.
- Saturn is the second largest planet in our Solar System.
- Saturn has 62 known moons.
- Saturns largest moon is Titan.
- Saturn got its name from the Roman God of agriculture and farming, Kronos, because of its yellow color.
- Saturn orbits the sun every 30 years.
- Saturn spins on it's axis every 10 hours and 30 minutes.
- Saturn is the least dense planet.
- Pioneer 11 was the first man made object to reach Saturn. It was followed by Voyager 1 and 2, and then the Cassini probe.
- Saturn is made of about 25 percent helium and 75 percent hydrogen, and contains traces of ammonia, methane, and water vapor.
|S/2009 S 1 - (nameless moonlets) - Pan - Daphnis - Atlas - Prometheus - Pandora - Epimetheus - Janus - Aegaeon - Mimas - Methone - Anthe - Pallene - Enceladus - Tethys - Telesto - Calypso - Dione - Helene - Polydeuces - Rhea - Titan - Hyperion - Iapetus - Kiviuq - Ijiraq - Phoebe - Paaliaq - Skathi - Albiorix - S/2007 S 2 - Bebhionn - Erriapus - Skoll - Siarnaq - Tarqeq - - S/2004 S 13 - Greip - Hyrrokin - Jarnsaxa - Tarvos - Mundilfari - S/2006 S 1 - S/2004 S 17 - Bergelmir - Narvi -Suttungr - Hati - S/2004 S 12 - Farbauti -Thrymr - Aegir - S/2007 S 3 - Bestla - S/2004 S 7 - S/2006 S 3 - Fenrir - Surtur - Kari - Ymir - Loge - Fornjot|