Proteus is a moon of Neptune.
- Proteus is the second largest moon of Neptune.
- It is just small enough to not be rounded by it's own gravity.
- Proteus reflects only 6% of the light it receives from the sun, making it very dark, which resulted in it being discovered after some smaller moons of Neptune.
- It was discovered June 16th, 1989 by Voyager 2.
- Proteus orbits Neptune every 27 hours.
- It is named after the shape changing sea god of Greek mythology.
|Naiad Thalassa Despina Galatea Larissa S/ 2004 N1|